Living-Donor Liver Transplant — UPMC Complex Care Connect™
UPMC’s Thomas E. Starzl Transplant Institute — named after the modern-day father of transplantation — is a leader in living-donor liver transplant (LDLT). Our LDLT program performs more liver transplants than any other center in the country.
We provide expertise and care for some of the hardest and most complex cases, drawing patients from around the world.
Nationally, about one out of every five patients will die on the liver transplant waitlist; however, with Complex Care Connect, services like LDLT offer hope to thousands of Americans with low priority scores.
Contact the Care Connect Team
How the LDLT Complex Care Connect Program Works
By partnering with hospitals that have deceased-donor liver transplant programs, we’re able to:
- Assume care and immediate aftercare for people ready for a living-donor liver transplant.
- Return them to the partner hospital for post-op and follow-up care when possible.
- Provide concierge-level care and extensive written materials that let our patients know what to expect each step of the way.
Although the United Network for Organ Sharing requires transplant teams follow their patients, we’re looking at innovative ways to achieve this goal. Methods such as telemedicine may help meet this need and reduce the patient’s return travel to Pittsburgh.
To learn more:
- Download the UPMC Complex Care Connect and LDLT brochure (PDF).
- Download the UPMC Thomas E. Starzl Transplantation Institute Innovative and Novel Indications for Live Donor Liver Transplant (LDLT) brochure (PDF).
- Visit the Thomas E. Starzl Transplant Institute.
- Liver regeneration and living-donor liver transplant provide life-saving opportunities.
- Learn more about living-donors and the living-donor liver transplant surgery.
- Hear Betty and Erin’s story about their experience and how you can’t give anything greater than life.
Contact UPMC Care Connect
To learn more about UPMC Complex Care Connect or other Care Connect programs:
UPMC Care Connect Concierge
Learn about living-donor liver transplant from UPMC’s Division of Transplantation Chief, Abhi Humar, MD, and hear the story of a daughter who provided her father with a life-saving opportunity.