Lung Transplant Surgery – UPMC Complex Care Connect™
UPMC is one of the most recognized and experienced lung and heart-lung transplant centers in the world. Since the program’s inception in 1982, our surgeons have performed more than 2,100 lung and heart-lung transplants, exceeding all other transplant centers, according to data obtained through the Organ Procurement and Transplant Network.
The UPMC Lung Transplant Program and UPMC Comprehensive Lung Center provide exceptional care and treatment for the entire spectrum of lung diseases. We are pioneers in therapies like ex vivo lung perfusion (EVLP) and extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) programs, and we work closely with the UPMC Immune Transplant and Therapy Center (ITTC) to increase the success rate of transplants.
Hospitals and physicians can be confident when referring, knowing that our specialists will deliver the best care possible to their most complex patients. Though approximately 30% of our evaluations have been turned down at other centers, our program maintains patient outcomes on par with the national average.
Patient Benefits of Lung Transplant Surgery at UPMC
Lung transplant is a vital option to prolong survival and improve quality of life of patients.
As one of only a few lung transplant centers in the United States to achieve a high volume while maintaining good patient outcomes, those suffering with severe lung disease know there is hope when they visit UPMC.
Our talented team of lung and heart-lung transplant surgeons offer many advantages to lung patients, including:
- Expertise in high-risk care. Our experience allows our specialists to accept many high-risk patients for both single and double lung transplants that other transplant centers may decline.
- Pioneers in EVLP. UPMC is actively involved in research pertaining to EVLP, an innovative method of evaluation and preserving a pair of complex lungs.
- At the forefront of ECMO. UPMC has one of the most active ECMO programs in the country. ECMO used as a bridge to transplant is a machine that will oxygenate and purify blood outside of the body. This takes the stress off of the heart and lungs and gives them a chance to rest and heal.
- Partnership with UPMC ITTC. Our partnership with the UPMC ITTC allows our patients access to groundbreaking techniques for immune transplant and therapy, including the area of tandem lung and bone marrow transplants.
To learn more:
- Visit UPMC Division of Lung Transplant and Lung Failure to learn more about lung transplant surgery.
- Learn more about UPMC’s Lung Transplant Program.
- Learn more about ECMO Treatment.
- Visit the UPMC ITTC to learn more about our research in immune transplant.
- Find out if you are a candidate for a lung transplant.
Contact UPMC Care Connect
To learn more about our Complex Care Connect or other UPMC Care Connect programs:
- Call our office 412-864-4320.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the contact us form.