Pediatric Living-Donor Liver Transplant – UPMC Complex Care Connect™
Each year, more than 30 children die waiting for a liver transplant, while others become too sick to be considered for transplantation. Pediatric living-donor liver transplant (LDLT) provides a life-saving alternative, offering improved outcomes and diminishing waitlist mortality.
The Hillman Center for Pediatric Transplantation at UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh houses one of the most experienced transplant teams in the world. According to January 2017 data released by the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients, Children’s Hospital is ranked the best in the U.S. for pediatric liver transplant outcomes.
Children’s Hospital has compassionate, knowledgeable professionals to work with patients, parents, family members, and donors throughout every step of the process. Transplantation is a lifelong journey, and we’re committed to working with partner physicians to provide ongoing optimal care for our patients and their donors for a lifetime.
Contact the Care Connect Team
How the Pediatric LDLT Complex Care Connect Program Works
By partnering with hospitals that have deceased-donor liver transplant programs, we’re able to:
- Assume care and immediate aftercare for children ready for a living-donor liver transplant.
- Return patients to the partner hospital for post-op and follow-up care when possible.
- Provide access to differentiating protocols to treat rare diagnoses, such as Alpha/Antitrypsin, Maple Syrup Urine Disease, and Familial Cholestasis.
- Support families through UPMC’s Champion Program, which offers tools to assist caregivers of pediatric recipients in identifying a family member or friend to help them find a donor match.
Although the United Network for Organ Sharing requires transplant teams follow their patients, we’re looking at innovative ways to achieve this goal. Methods such as telemedicine may help meet this need and reduce the patient’s return travel to Pittsburgh.
To learn more:
- Visit the Hillman Cancer Center for Transplantation at UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh
- Learn more about living-donor liver transplant at Children’s Hospital
- How UPMC is saving lives through living-donor liver transplant
- Learn about Children’s Hospital’s innovative approaches to metabolic diseases
Contact UPMC Care Connect
To learn more about our Complex Care Connect or other UPMC Care Connect programs:
- Call our office at 855-434-6040.
- Email us at email@example.com.
- Complete the contact us form.